People are joking about Frankenstorm, but Hurricane Sandy's no laughing matter. There have been damages and deaths in the Caribbean, and with the full moon today, tidal swings and winds outside of the storm will only be greater along the U.S. coast. But it's also a time to be informed and prepared rather than panicked. To put things in perspective, the winds are currently clocking at 75 mph. Here's a comparison of windy things (and places):
- Typical Hurricane: 100-150 mph
- Your Hair Dryer: 26.8 mph - 39.2 mph
- Highest Recorded Wind Speed: 231 miles per hour at Mount Washington in April 1934
- Windiest Place in World: Port Martin, Antarctica (average windspeed of 40 mph)
- Windiest Storms: Tornados; recording speeds of 300 mph
- Wind creation: Wind is caused by differences in pressure. It's the acceleration of air from higher to lower pressure.
Stay safe, everyone!
Maybe... if you use a whole bottle of foundation at once. Here's what you need to know.
Get some inspiration from these ladies and learn to appreciate your behind.
Say "goodbye" to winter dryness and get your skin ready for the sunny days ahead!
From cave paintings to Kim Kardashian, a review of the bright side and the dark side of the backside.
Return to the Mobile Site