Taking care of curly hair is no easy feat, especially since no two people’s curls are exactly the same. Finding the perfect product cocktail for your hair is quite the challenge, but that doesn’t mean you need to throw in the towel and reach for a straightener just yet!
- Hands off! “Avoid touching hair too much,” advises Maria. “Touching can leave hair dry and brittle, so scrunch them no more than three times while applying product.”
- Stick to silk. “A cotton pillowcase provides friction and scrubs hair throughout the night,” says Maria. Silk or satin pillowcases like the Slip Silk Pillowcase, will allow hair to glide across it during the night, keeping curls from developing frizz.
- Shower without sulfates. According to Ricky Pennisi, “great curls begin in the shower with a sulfate-free shampoo. Since sulfate-free shampoos don’t strip the hair of natural oils, it’ll prevent frizz and hair damage.” Try MIZANI True Textures Moisture Replenish Shampoo since it’s super gentle and hydrates the hair for a softer feel.
- Eat hair-healthy foods. There’s tons of available foods jam-packed with omega-3 fatty acids, biotin and vitamin D that work to help build shiny, healthy hair. For faster hair growth and extra shine, load up on salmon, sweet potatoes and eggs!
- Brush with caution. Stop brushing wet hair. It just damages the hair cuticle, which leads to split ends and breakage in curls. Use a wide tooth comb to detangle wet hair instead.
- Wear protection. Heat protection, that is. High temperatures from flat irons and blowdryers can damage strands and leave ends frayed. Use a thermal protective product like Schwarzkopf Styliste Ultime Crystal Shine & Hold Heat Protection Shine Spray to insulate the hair and lock in moisture.
- Dry without towels. Ellis believes curly-haired gals should air dry their hair and avoid terry cloth towels at all costs. “Make sure you scrunch your curls with a DevaTowel, which is a great microfiber towel—don’t ever use a regular terry cloth towel since it will rough up the cuticle and result in frizz,” explains Cal.
- Condition with care. Keeping your hair conditioned is vital for healthy-looking curls. Try a long-lasting product like the SACHAJUAN Leave-In Conditioner for an instant shine boost, or the HASK Monoi Coconut Oil Nourishing Deep Conditioner Packette for a more restorative effect.