Never been to yoga before? Now is your chance! September kicks off National Yoga Month and lots of studios across the country are offering free classes. (Check out YogaMonth.com to see how to snag a free week pass!)
But before you head to class, Kay Kay, the head of Teacher Training at the posh Pure Yoga studios in NYC, shares what you need to know to go from "huh?" to "OM."
First Time Yogi Tips:
1. For your first yoga class you should walk in with no expectations of yourself. Just be wherever you are that day in your body and have not judgment of yourself. (Bonus: Find your yoga personality here!)
2. You can count on that everyone else in the room feels like the least flexible person as well! So take comfort in that.
3. Sit in the second row during your first 10 classes so you have someone in front of you to model the poses in case you feel lost, especially if you are a visual learner.
4. Bring water and a towel (check with the studio beforehand to see if mats are supplied, they may cost extra, or if you should bring your own).
5. Don't be afraid of props! Grab a yoga block to sit up on, it is so much more comfortable than sitting on the floor!
6. Wear comfortable yoga clothing, something that feels flexible. (Note: if you're trying any hot yoga classes, dress as minimally as possible!) Try to avoid anything that's really baggy. Not only will a loose t-shirt prevent your instructor from seeing your alignment, it might also expose a little too much skin when you're upside-down!
Get some inspiration from these ladies and learn to appreciate your behind.
Say "goodbye" to winter dryness and get your skin ready for the sunny days ahead!
From cave paintings to Kim Kardashian, a review of the bright side and the dark side of the backside.
Could you boycott beauty for a year? This author did.
Return to the Mobile Site