Searching for a way to cut calories from your Memorial Day cookout? Swap out old standbys loaded with butter and salt and mayo for some fresh new ideas. These healthy side dishes will leave your guests satisfied and light enough for the afternoon’s frisbee challenge. Love the guacamole but lose the tortilla chip bloat by stuffing everyone’s favorite dip into hardboiled eggs. Throw red peppers on the grill for a side that’s brimming with antioxidants and vitamin C. Lose empty carbs by substituting a head of cauliflower for half the pasta in your favorite macaroni and cheese recipe.
- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep: 25 mins
- Start to Finish: 25 mins
- Carb Grams Per Serving: 9
- 4 slices turkey bacon
- 1 12 – 16 – ounce bag shredded broccoli slaw, or 1 large bunch broccoli (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1/4 cup low-fat or nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 8 – ounce can low-sodium sliced water chestnuts, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely diced red onion, (1/2 medium)
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat, turning frequently, until crisp, 5 to 8 minutes. (Alternatively, microwave on High for 2 1/2 to 3 minutes.) Drain bacon on paper towels. Chop coarsely.
- If using whole broccoli, trim about 3 inches off the stems. Chop the rest into 1/4-inch pieces.
- Whisk yogurt, mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add water chestnuts, onion, bacon and broccoli; toss to coat. Chill until serving time.
- Tip:MAKE AHEAD TIP: Cover and chill for up to 2 days.
Servings Per Recipe: 6
Per serving: 80 cal., 3 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 5 mg chol., 271 mg