Know Your Body LanguageEvery nonverbal cue goes a long way toward communicating if we want to snuggle or have some space. It can be a wink, a hair stroke, crossed arms… Ninety percent of our communicationis conveyed nonverbally!How we gesture is powerful and women are better at picking up and using signals than men. Reading body language can help you avoid interpretation problems.RELATED RESEARCH: Believe Others Like You, They Will The Way You TalkParalinguistics is the part of nonverbal communication that conveys emotions and attitudes through tone, pitch, volume, pauses and throat clears. This makes up about 40 percent of our communication.These signals have five times more communicative value than the actual spoken words.Here are some messages that can be conveyed about personality traits:
- An increased speaking rate implies an individual is more animated and extroverted.
- A nasal sound is considered undesirable.
- A weak voice suggests lack of confidence, which lowers credibility.
- A strong voice shows great confidence.
- A deeper voice in men means more testosterone at the time of puberty, thus more able to defend the spouse.
- A higher-pitched female voice means more estrogen at puberty, so more able to birth viable children.
- Flat tone indicates more withdrawn and masculine characteristics.