Piccata-Style Chicken Scaloppini Recipe
Get the great skin anti-aging properties from vitamin B3 with this recipe.
Standout Beauty Nutrient: 4.62 mg of vitamin B3 or about 33% RDA
Beauty Benefits: The chicken provides a dose of vitamin B3. This can increases the skin's ability to retain moisture & supports rapid cell division, which are great anti-aging properties.
Bonus Nutrients: The protein from the chicken can also help maintain healthier skin, helping with tissue repair throughout your body as well.
- 1 1/4 cup(s) water
- 1 teaspoon(s) Minor's chicken base
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) Minor's vegetable base
- 2 teaspoon(s) arrowroot
- 2 teaspoon(s) cold water
- 2 5-ounce skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoon(s) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup(s) 100% whole-wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon(s) finely chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon(s) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon(s) finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon(s) capers
- 1 tablespoon(s) lemon juice
- 1 cup(s) sauce base
- In small sauce pan, bring 1 1/4 cups water to a simmer and then add both chicken and vegetable bases to make a stock.
- In a small bowl, combine arrowroot and cold water to make a slurry and whisk into boiling stock until it begins to lightly thicken; remove from heat.
- Trim away any visible fat, sliver skin, and cut each chicken breast into three equal pieces.
- Then place the chicken between cellophane and lightly pound with mallet to about a 1/3-inch thickness.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and set aside.
- In a 12-inch nonstick saute pan, add and heat oil.
- Dredge or lightly coat chicken with flour and place into heated oil and saute over medium heat until juices begin to rise to top of chicken, about 2 minutes.
- Turn over with spatula and saute on other side about 1 minute.
- Then add garlic and 1 teaspoon olive oil. Saute until garlic begins to turn light golden in color.
- While garlic is sauteing, add parsley and capers.
- Then add lemon juice and sauce base right at the time the garlic begins to color.
- Shake pan and allow all the ingredients to mix, deglazing bottom of pan for no more then 30 seconds, as further cooking in the sauce will toughen and dry out the chicken.
- After the 30 seconds, remove the chicken to a side plate and continue to simmer the sauce to reduce until desired consistency.
- Remove pan from heat, add chicken back to pan to warm, then place chicken on plate and pour sauce over it and serve with rice or your favorite side dish.
Calorie CountRecipe Info Provided by CalorieCount.com
Recipe developed by Cleveland Clinic Lifestyle 180 program. This is a Go! Food, which meets beautifying nutritional criteria.