Serves six to eight.
- 2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- ½ cup freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- ½ cup freshly chopped basil
- 2 Tbs freshly chopped thyme
- 2 Tbs chopped Nicoise olives
- 1 cup whole canned plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 Tbs chopped garlic
- 2 lbs firm tofu, pureed in a food processor
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground white pepper
Lightly grease an 8-by-10-inch baking dish with olive oil.
In a nonstick skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions, carrots, and celery and sauté until tender, about 10 minutes. Add the parsley, basil, thyme, and olives and sauté two to three minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, garlic and tofu. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
Shape the cooled tofu mixture into a mound or loaf and transfer it to the prepared baking dish. Place the baking dish inside a larger roasting pan and fill the roasting pan with water until it comes halfway up the sides of the baking dish.
Bake 30 minutes or until golden brown.