The bustle of the holidays makes almost everyone stressed, and that can take a serious toll on your complexion. Here’s a list to help you prioritize so you can get through the season with beautiful, glowing skin.
- Regular exercise: Please don’t stop exercising because you’re too busy with holiday planning. You must keep it up! This is the most important thing you can do for your skin and your stress level, as well as your overall health, during the holiday season. Jogging, walking, elliptical, free weights—whatever you choose, just keep it moving.
- Treat acne: If your adult acne is flaring, don’t throw just anything at it and pray it works. A dermatologist can give you a plan, and might prescribe topicals such as Veltin, Tazorac, or Aczone. Do not pick at your pimples because you are about to see your mother-in-law! This will only make things worse and could scar your face permanently. Picking is a stress reaction in a lot of people, and simple awareness of it is often enough to curb the impulse.
- Take the red out: Stress, extreme weather, spicy foods and alcohol (all holiday givens!) can trigger rosacea. If you have rosacea, ask your dermatologist about Mirvaso, a new topical that instantly decreases the red in your face for 12 hours. It is FDA-approved and works on contact! My rosacea patients are loving this prescription.
- Prioritize sleep: Say no to a few things so you can get to bed earlier. Your mind and body will thank you for it, and no one will think less of you if you don’t attend every party. We humans need seven to eight hours of sleep a night! Our skin cells turn over, our muscles repair, and our minds relax.
- Add youthful volume: If you’ve noticed your face looking a little deflated, ask about Voluma, a new filler than was FDA-approved in October. It lasts for two years and adds volume to the cheeks. One of my staff members tried it and she looks 5 years younger! Feeling good about how you look decreases your stress level.
- Limit your alcohol: This one can be tough! People drink too much at holiday social functions when they are stressed and may regret it later. Sip on club soda or flavored seltzer. You will skip calories, avoid bloating and keep your judgement intact. Alcohol also contributes to facial redness, which makes you look more stressed.
Some of these might seem like common sense, but it’s important to remember the basics before you start running around like crazy. Although it’s a time for thinking of others, you must take care of yourself first, so you can be your happiest, healthiest, most beautiful self all season long.