It’s a sweet summer treat we all love to indulge in every now and then, but if your local ice cream store isn’t open or you simply want to get your fried ice cream fix at home, here’s how you can quickly and easily recreate your favorite sugary snack.
What is Fried Ice Cream?
It is ice cream that is melting inside a crisp biscuit-like shell for anyone who doesn’t know what fried ice cream is. It can be served alone or alongside toppings and sauces. It’s often served with some kind of syrup, such as maple or golden.
How To Make Fried Ice Cream At Home
To make homemade fried ice cream, you will need the following ingredients.
- 750ml vanilla ice-cream (see notes)
- 250g digestive biscuits
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Sunflower oil
- Icing sugar, to serve
- Maple syrup, to serve
How To Make:
Once you have all of your ingredients ready and measured for your fried ice cream, you need to follow the below steps.
- Line a tray with greaseproof paper. Working in a quick motion, scoop your ice cream and form into 6 round balls. Then place these balls onto the tray and place in the freezer.
- Freeze the ice cream balls for approximately 2 hours until they are very firm.
- Crush your pack of biscuits until they become fine crumbs, then place these into a shallow bowl. Again, working quickly, roll your frozen ice cream balls in the biscuit crumbs until coated. Return them to the freezer for one hour.
- Lightly beat the eggs and milk into another bowl and fetch your frozen balls from the freezer. Work quickly, coat each ball first in the egg mixture, and shake off the excess and coat in the crumbs. Return your balls to the freezer for another hour.
- Half fill a large saucepan or deep-fryer with sunflower oil and bring it to a heat of 190°C.
- In 2 batches, fry your ice cream balls for roughly 10-15 seconds until golden.
- Once cooked, remove the balls with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel.
- Serve your fried ice-cream immediately and dust with icing sugar and drizzle with maple syrup to finish!