Reshape your body in a very short time by mixing high-intensity interval workouts with total-body strength moves. A beach body is only three weeks away when you melt fat and boost metabolism with these moves you can do in just 30 minutes a day.
On alternate days add the cardio interval workouts. The plan calls for weekends that incorporate a rest day or a moderate exercise to increase weekly calorie burn.
Blasting fat is the goal when you’re working to hit the waves, and that doesn’t require hours in the gym. Move at high intensity intervals and you’ll boost your metabolism for hours afterward in addition to burning more calories than you would during a slower, longer routine. You can do this interval program during almost any outdoor activity or on every cardio machine.
Start your three weeks to a bikini-ready body with these strength moves:
- Bulgarian Split Squat with Stability Ball
Works Quadriceps, Hamstrings, Glutes
- Stand one stride’s distance facing away from a stability ball.
- Place top of right foot and shin on the ball. Bend your left knee 90 degrees in 2 counts (keep knee aligned over ankle), then straighten left leg in 2 counts.
- For an added challenge, hold a 4- to 10-pound medicine ball or dumbbells.
- To modify, place the ball against a wall for support.
- 1 and 1/4 Push-Up
Works Chest, Triceps, Shoulders
- Get into a full push-up position, forming a straight line from head to heels.
- Bend elbows 90 degrees, lowering body toward the floor in 3 counts; push one-quarter of the way back up from the floor, then lower chest back down without touching.
- Push all the way back up to starting position in a count of 3.
- To modify, place knees on the floor.
- Back Extension on Stability Ball
Works Lower Back
- Lie facedown over a stability ball, hips resting on ball and feet on floor.
- Bend elbows, placing hands on either side of your head.
- Lift chest off the ball, keeping lower body stationary (be careful not to strain your back); lower to starting position.
- To modify, place feet against a wall.
- 1 and 1/4 Medicine-Ball Pullover
Works Back, Triceps, Abs
- Lie face up on a bench with feet on floor, holding a 4- to 10-pound medicine ball with arms extended over chest.
- Lower ball toward head in three counts until arms are parallel to floor.
- Return ball toward chest, stopping one-quarter of the way up.
- Lower ball until arms are again parallel with the floor; return all the way back to starting position in 3 counts.
For four more strength moves and a three-week fat loss schedule along with a guide to fast tracking your cardio workout, go here to see the plan devised by trainer Joe Dowdell, owner of Peak Performance Strength and Conditioning Center in New York City for Fitness magazine.