Hair on the runways at New York Fashion Week spanned a wide variety of styles, from sleeked-back, wet looks to classic ponytails to the always-flattering beach wave. But one style that kept showing up over and over again was grungy, tousled, texturized strands. Think of it as your hair two or three days after its last wash: a little messy, naturally bent and waved and honestly, a little bit dirty.MORE: How to Take Care of Long Hair
Forty-five percent of YouBeauty readers say their hair becomes oily or greasy within two days after washing. But washing your hair every day is kind of a commitment (and total time suck). Luckily, we’ve got some good news: Now you can wear your dirty hair proudly. With the right products and styling tips, you can cut out all the oil and shine that comes with skimping on shampoo and transform your bad hair day into an on-trend style.Kérastase hairstylist Odile Gilbert created this lived-in look at Thakoon, giving the models a wavy, tousled style with natural-looking bend. By following these simple steps, you can flaunt your unwashed hair with confidence. Here’s how:
- Apply volumizing mousse through dry hair. Blow dry it in, twisting sections with your hands as you go. Try Kérastase Mousse Bouffante, $36.
- Spray large sections with flexible hold hairspray, such as Kérastase Laque Dentelle, $35, and curl each with a medium barrel curling iron, making sure not to wrap it too tightly around the iron so that waves will be loose.
- Spray dry shampoo all over to cut shine and give hair a matte texture, shaking out curls with fingers. We like L’Oréal Professional Volumetry Powder Fresh SOS Refreshing Spray, $26.
- Tie hair at the nape of the neck loosely and continue to dry the top section of the hair, making it a little messy.
- Spray flexible hold hairspray to control crazy flyaways
- Remove the elastic. It should leave a natural bend, adding to its lived-in appearance.
More of a hair-up kind of gal? No problem. At Peter Som, Eugene Souleiman, Global Creative Director for Wella Professionals, created a knotted, messy bun with tons of texture. You can recreate the look in no time, by spraying in some sea salt spray, such as Wella Professionals Ocean Spritz, $16, blowdrying, pulling hair into a ponytail and then twisting it into a bun and tying it into a knot. Secure it with bobby pins and voilá—you’re primped and ready to go, without a bottle of shampoo in sight.MORE: 3 Surprising Makeup Tips From Fashion Week