Potatoes are packed with good stuff — they’re rich in vitamin B and C, brighten and tone, and also are known to ward off wrinkles. Who knew that the humble spud could get any better than potato chips, potato salad, French fries, mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, scalloped potatoes … OK, I’ll stop now. But my point is, it turns out there are plenty of easy DIY beauty recipes for potatoes that you can do right in your own kitchen:
DIY Potato Beauty Recipes For Your Eyes:
- Dark Circle Brightener: Applying potato to the undereye area is a safe and natural way to brighten up dark circles. Simply peel and slice a potato in wedges. Place them in a cool washcloth, then let them sit over the eyes for 20 minutes. Rinse.
- Depuffer: Out of cucumbers? Keep some potato slices in the fridge and pop them over your eyes for instant soothing and de-puffing.
- Undereye Wrinkle Blaster: Using a lemon squeezer or juicer, squeeze out the liquid from a potato. Then apply the juice to the undereye area with a cotton pad or ball to fight fine lines.
DIY Potato Beauty Recipes For Your Face:
- Acne Fighter: To help clear skin, apply potato juice directly to blemishes with a Q-tip or wipe the whole face with potato juice, just as you would a toner.
- Exfoliating Toner: Grate a raw potato and mix with 2 Tbsp of lemon juice. Apply to face, avoiding eyes, and let sit for 30 minutes. The mixture will gradually alleviate hyperpigmentation, reduce swelling and exfoliate dry skin cells.
READ MORE: How to Get Rid of Wrinkles in 20 Minutes or Less
- Cucumber & Potato Cleanser: Cut up one cucumber and one potato into medium pieces and then blend for 20 seconds. Add 1 tsp baking soda and 1 tsp water to the mixture. Add to a bottle and shake before using – voila! Homemade soothing cleanser.
- Quick Oily Skin Mask: Peel and finely grate a potato, then add rosewater (or rice water) and mix thoroughly. Add 1 tsp lemon juice and apply to face for at least 15 minutes.
- Quick Dry Skin Mask: Everything stays the same as above, but instead of lemon juice, add 1 tsp of honey.
- Anti-Aging Mask: For the food processor-inclined, smooth out a potato and add 1 Tbsp yogurt so you have a fine paste, then apply to the face for 30 minutes. Rinse thoroughly. Skin is taut and smooth.
- Post-Procedure Soothing Mask: Apres-Botox, you can place chilled potato circles on swollen, puffy spots. It also helps to soothe after skin peels (or any burns or inflammation). Leave on for 15 minutes; do not apply to open wounds or cuts that are prone to infection.
- Potato & Egg Mask: Mix well 1 egg white and juice from half a potato. Apply to skin with a brush. Leave on for 20 minutes, then rinse thoroughly.
- Potato Face Mask: Soak a tissue, paper towel or washcloth in potato juice (juiced yourself for maximum freshness, or store-bought), then drape over the face for 20 minutes for a flawless complexion. (Extra credit for those who cut out the eye-holes.)
- Moisture Mask: Grate 1 potato and mix it with 2 Tbsp olive oil, then add 1 Tbsp honey. Mix thoroughly, then apply to the skin. Leave on for 10 minutes, then rinse thoroughly. The hydrating elements (olive oil, honey) help to replenish the skin while the potato fights fine lines and adds vitamins and minerals.
DIY Potato Beauty Recipes For The Body:
- Sunburn Salve: This is an old trick to helping out burnt shoulders (or anywhere). Place cold potato slices on the painful burnt skin to soothe and also take the sting out. Potatoes also help to remove color, so keep that in mind.
- Treatment of Rashes, Itching and Insect Bites: Simply place a raw potato wedge on the area. Do multiple times throughout the day for quick relief!
READ MORE: Cooling Products to Soothe a Sunburn
DIY Potato Beauty Recipes For The Hair:
- Moisturizing Hair Mask: Combine 3 Tbsp potato juice, 2 Tbsp aloe vera gel and 1 Tbsp honey. Massage into the scalp then comb through to the ends. You can leave on up to an hour, depending on you damage, and then rinse thoroughly.
- Grey Hair Shine Rinse: For the boldest of natural-remedy seekers, boil about five potatoes, peels and all, for about an hour. Take the potates out, save the water, and rinse your hair with it. No kidding, it gives greys a lustrous shine.