It’s one of the latest beauty crazes to hit salons and is also fast becoming a go-to skin treatment you can do in the comfort of your own home. Known for eliminating dead skin cells and vellus hair, dermaplaning has many benefits for your skin, including:
- Exfoliates and removes the dead layer of skin
- Removes ‘peach fuzz’
- Improves absorption and effectiveness of skincare products
- Allows makeup to go on smoother
- Reveals fresh, glowing skin
How to DIY Dermaplane
Dermaplaning can be an expensive treatment to keep up with, and since it’s suggested that you have the procedure done once per month for the best results, it is definitely more cost effective to dermaplane yourself.
What you will need:
For a DIY dermaplane, you will need the following items:
- A pair of disposable gloves
- A dermaplaning blade
- Face wash
- Sterile alcohol prep pads
- A paper towel
There are a few essential things you need to bear in mind when attempting a DIY dermaplane.
1. Fully cleanse your skin before the treatment, so your face is clean.
2. Next, pop on the disposable gloves and use the alcohol prep pads to clean the blade.
2. You need to ensure you hold the blade at a 45-degree angle at all times.
3. Work in small strokes and take your time – remember how delicate your skin and face is!
4. Carefully work your way around the face until you have covered all areas. We also recommend wearing a hairnet.
5. Keep the skin as tight as possible for the best results possible.
6. Take caution around the nose and eye area, or you can avoid these areas all together if you would prefer.
7. Once the treatment is complete, use a warm, damp cloth to dab your face gently and once dry, apply a gentle, fragrance-free moisturizer or serum.
Once you have completed the treatment, you must moisturize your skin with a protective product that also contains SPF. As you will have removed a layer of skin and dead cells, your skin will be much more sensitive than usual and will require lots of soothing and hydrating aftercare products. It is also recommended that you avoid any harsh treatments immediately after, as well as preventing sweating for at least 24 hours after.