Just as we prep for the new season with a wardrobe swap, a calendar update and winterizing the home, our skin maintenance needs to be tweaked as well. Follow these tips to successfully transition from fall to winter:
1. Stop pre-holiday, glow-depleting stress before it starts by getting in the habit of deep breathing. The start of fall never fails to usher in stress, and deep, slow breathing is an effective way to calm yourself down. Plus, it shifts the body’s balance of carbon dioxide to oxygen in favor of energizing oxygen. The integrity of the brain, nerves, glands and internal organs depends on oxygen, and any shortage in supply will have a profound impact on the entire body, both inside and out.
2. Those spider veins you never noticed until you were on the beach in a teeny-bikini? Get rid of them now with sclerotherapy so that you’ll be good to go in time for your next warm weather vacation. Scerotherapy involves the injection of tiny amounts of a solution (hypertonic saline or sotradechol are among the most popular) that causes the veins to swell shut. About 95 percent of patients see an improvement after one to three sclerotherapy treatments.
3. Don’t store the sunscreen! The temperature may drop but the sun’s harmful rays still stick around. Ensure that sunscreen is part of your daily grooming ritual even when the leaves have fallen.
4. Bring on the moisture. People often use a heavy moisturizer in the summer when skin tends to feel drier and then switch to a lighter formula once fall hits. That’s a mistake. Skin should be extra-hydrated in the colder seasons to protect it from harsh wind and moisture-depleting temperatures. Moisturize skin morning and night and sleep with the humidifier on.
5. Spending a few summer months squinting in the sun can bring on the wrinkles. Discuss wrinkle-reducing treatments with your dermatologist. Dermal fillers are an option. He or she might also suggest retinoids. Retinoids are the only proven topical wrinkle reducers and age fighters. Two are prescription-only derivatives of Vitamin A: tretinoin (brand names: Retin-A, Avita, Renova) and tazarotene (Tazorac, Avage).
If shopping for eye makeup is one big guessing game, find your best colors here.
Highlight your eye color. Flaunt your body shape. Harness your confidence. Take our quizzes to better know yourself and get science-based, individualized advice to embrace your true beauty.
If shopping for eye makeup is one big guessing game, find your best colors here.Take Quiz
Define your curves and discover the best ways to eat, exercise and dress for your figure.Take Quiz
Find out how your relationship personality is affecting you and the people you love.Take Quiz
Find out for sure to best interact and deal with others.Take Quiz