My aunt has two favorite topics at family dinners: my ex-boyfriends and why I should get blonde highlights. I’m sure you have someone like that in your family as well. Yes, it’s that time of year where our hearts are filled with joy … and feelings brought on by extended quality time, from tears to mischief to zen acceptance.Here are five products that can help turn any stressful family holiday into – well, it’s still the same family holiday, but at least you’ll look and feel better.
1. Waterproof MascaraWhether it’s your first viewing of “Love Actually” or your brother’s opinion about the midterm elections, emotions often run high during family gatherings. For some of us, emotions = tears. Go waterproof.Try: Maybelline The Falsies Big Eyes Waterproof Mascara, $9
2. Glitter PolishI don’t have to remind you a lot can go wrong over a holiday weekend: traffic, dry turkey, a shouting match between your uncles. Paint your nails with glitter polish for a personal kick of happy before the weekend begins. And if you have to point accusingly at a loved one, at least they’ll be four shimmery fingers pointing back.Try: Deborah Lippmann Boom Boom Pow, $20
3. Temporary Rainbow Hair DyeNever be without a conversation starter by dyeing your hair neon pink or canary yellow. It washes out in six days and you’ll never have to answer questions about your job or relationship status.Try: Redken Color Rebel, $25
4. Bubble BathSmall children joining the festivities this year? Escape from the crying and into the bath. (Your parents’ clean their bathtub way more often than you do.) Luxuriate with your favorite book from high school.Try: Kneipp “Revive with 5” Bath Collection, $25
5. Classic Red LipstickIt’s the holidays! At least paint on a fake smile.Try: Make Up For Ever Rouge Artist Intense in Moulin Rouge, $20