Often referred to as ‘detox baths,’ Epsom salt baths can have many health benefits.
What is An Epsom Salt Bath?
An Epsom salt bath is a warm bath with Epsom salts added to help promote healing and encourage the body’s natural detoxification process. Epsom salt consists of magnesium and sulfate. It is believed that this combination of the two ingredients stimulates detoxification pathways. Magnesium works by removing toxins from the body while sulfate can strengthen the digestive tract walls, allowing toxins to be released. Epsom salt baths are sometimes associated with weight loss or can be used to help with muscle recovery following intense exercise.
What Are The Benefits?
Epsom salt baths have many possible health benefits, including the following.
- Can reduce pain and soreness – due to the magnesium in Epsom salts, an Epsom salt bath can help reduce pain and ease any soreness. They can be great for athletes post-workout or for people that suffer from inflammatory conditions such as arthritis, lupus, and gout.
- Soothe your skin – Epsom salt baths can help to soothe dry, rough skin and make it softer. It can also help with skin conditions such as eczema and psoriasis. However, you must always double-check with your doctor if you have a skin condition and wish to try Epsom salts.
- Relieve stress – Baths, in general, can be a great way to unwind and reduce stress levels, but Epsom salts thanks to the magnesium. When you have healthy magnesium levels, this can boost your brain neurotransmitters responsible for reducing stress and inducing sleep.
- Draw out splinters – If you have a splinter stuck in your skin, it can be challenging to remove them without pushing it further into your skin. Epsom salts can reduce inflammation in the affected area and soften the surrounding skin making it easier to remove the splinter.
- Promote foot health – Epsom salts are great for improving your foot health. They can help to treat ingrown toenail infections as well as athlete’s foot. Soaking your feet in Epsom salt water can help feet to heal faster, can reduce foot odor and relieve itching.