A body scrub seems like an unnecessary splurge at the spa, but a complete body exfoliation is essential for glowing skin. The benefits are twofold: one is to clean off the skin’s surface from dirt and debris. The other is that it preps the skin for healthy rejuvenation and for other body treatments, like any serums and moisturizers. It makes your skin into a clean and clear canvas to readily absorb what you put on it next.
Not all scrubs are made the same, so you should pick the DIY recipe based on your skin concern. The great thing is that you can cater directly to your skin needs with an at-home scrub, not to mention save a ton of money!
The Benefits Of A Body Scrub
1. Exfoliates the upper layer of skin, priming the surface for further treatments.
2. Stimulates lymphatic drainage, which aids in eliminating toxins from the body.
3. Improves blood circulation, which makes the skin glow!
Things to Keep In Mind When Doing a Body Scrub
1. Do a scrub at least once a week to keep skin in top shape.
2. If you’re just starting with scrubbing, be gentle! Be careful not to be too abrasive or irritate your skin.
3. Gather the right tools. A loofah and a stiff brush or sponge are a great start. Always wash your tools thoroughly and dry them between uses to stave off any bacteria.
4. Scrub in a circular motion, starting with the bottom of your body, from feet, up to the shoulders. Scrub down your back and then finish off by scrubbing up toward your solar plexus.
Revitalizing Scrub for Dry Skin
– 1/2 cup coarse sugar
– 1/4 cup rosemary oil
You can either mix the two and scrub on or dip your scrubbing mitt in a bit of oil and then in the sugar. Focus on the extra rough spots.
Avocado Almond Scrub for Sensitive and Dull Skin
– 1 cup dry oatmeal
– 1 mashed avocado
– 1/4 cup almond oil
Fill a muslin bag with the oatmeal. Mix the almond oil and avocado together and use the oatmeal-filled muslin bag to rub the mixture all over your body with circular motions.
Moisturizing Apricot Kernel Oil Scrub
– 2 cups sugar
– 1/4 cup apricot kernel oil
You can either mix the two and scrub on or dip your scrubbing mitt in a bit of oil and then in the sugar. Scrub gently all over your body in circular motions and let sit on your body a bit before rinsing off. The oil easily absorbs and leaves skin feeling extra smooth.