Most of us can’t wear a Halloween costume to work or class on October 31 (though those damn fun-size Snickers bars will still be everywhere). But all of us can get in the Halloween spirit with subtle-yet-festive nails! And no, we’re not talking about just painting your tips a bright pumpkin orange. Over the next few days, we’re going to show you some Pinterest-worthy nail styles, like ghosts, skulls and a glittery black fade.
The celebrity nail artist Miss Pop, AKA Simcha Whitehill, taught us how to do this zombie-inspired design. It’s perfect for October 31st or “Walking Dead” super-fans any time of year.
You will need:
- A long, thin paintbrush
- A base coat,
- A taupe polish, like Essie Take it Outside
- A black polish, like Essie Licorice Jet Black
- A top coat
How to get the look:
1. Start with a base coat to prime your nails for color.
2. Apply two coats of a neutral polish, such as the taupe Essie Take it Outside. This is the foundation of your design, so make it crisp and neat! You’ll need about five minutes to dry.
3. Dip your long, thin paintbrush — which you are using as striping tool — into the black polish. Draw a line that curves along with your fingertip to create the base of your fracture-to-be.
4. Dip back into your black polish, then use the striper to draw small lines to make stitches. Make the lines uneven for maximum creepiness.
5. After letting your nails dry for about five minutes, finish each nail off with a top coat.