Got some extra oats lying around? We all seem to have that familiar Quaker face poking out at the back of the cabinet. Well, good news – you can use them on your face, in your bath, and hey! If you want to eat them, they last a really long time too (and are pretty healthy!). Use raw oats unless stated otherwise:
Oatmeal helps protect the skin barrier to keep moisture in, and are also full of saponins which gently remove dirt and oil for a deep-down clean.
- Spot Treatment – Suffer from acne? Oatmeal can help slough off dead skin cells and soak up excess oil, but also soothes irritated skin. Quickly cook up a little in the microwave, let it get to room temp, apply to trouble areas and then rinse after 10 minutes (the same properties also provide relief from sunburn and poison ivy).
- Face Wash – Oatmeal contains saponins that help remove dirt and oil. You can create a quick cleanser with 2 tbsp oatmeal, 1 tbsp warm water and 1 tsp of honey. Using circular motions, rub on the face, then rinse. Added bonus: honey kills bacteria and locks in moisture.
- Sensitive Skin Scrub – Mix 1 tbsp of oats, 1 tsp honey, and 2 tbsp yogurt for a gentle exfoliating cream that moisturizes, protects the skin and soothes. Especially effective on sunburnt skin.
- Tropical Scrub – Take 2 tbsp oatmeal, 1 tbsp coconut oil, 1 tsp brown sugar and a little bit of warm water, mix together, and apply to the face for a quick exfoliating treatment that gives the skin major luminosity.
- Baking Soda Oatmeal Scrub – Mix equal parts oatmeal and baking soda, then add a teaspoon of water. Mix thoroughly into a paste, then massage into the skin. Rinse thoroughly.
- Oatmeal Mini Mask – Take 2 tbsp oatmeal, 2 tsp honey, 1 tbsp milk. Combine all ingredients. Apply to face and neck, leave on for 10 minutes, rinse.
- Nourishing Scrub – Mix ½ c whole milk, 1 tbsp honey and 1 tbsp olive oil, then add 2 tbsp of oatmeal. Let it sit for 10 minutes, then exfoliate the face for about 2 minutes with the paste. Rinse thoroughly.
- Anti-Aging Mask – Mix together ½ cup [cooked] oatmeal, 1 egg, and 1 tbsp almond oil. Spread it on your face and leave for 15 minutes. Rinse off with warm water.