Whether your hair has been fried from too many hot tools or chopped by an overzealous hairstylist, growing out a long, healthy mane can be a real pain. Thankfully, we have a few tips and tricks up our sleeve to help grow hair out to its full potential! From a healthy diet, to a few favorite products, we got you covered so that you can finally hashtag your next instagram picture #longhairdontcare. Read on for the best ways to grow out long, healthy locks!
- Eat Right. Certain foods are jam-packed with some extra good-for-you components that will inevitably build your best hair. For faster hair growth and extra shine, load up on salmon since it contains Vitamin D, protein and tons of omega-3 fatty acids to give you a healthy scalp. Sweet potatoes are another wonderful food for hair growth due to their high dosage of beta carotene, the precursor of Vitamin A, which helps to keep hair from becoming dry and brittle. And don’t forget to include eggs! The biotin in the yolk of an egg is well known to help hair grow out stronger and fuller.
- Cut Back on Soda and Alcohol. Reduce your alcohol and soda consumption and load up on drinking water to keep the hair shaft hydrated and healthy. Not only are these drinks bad for your skin (we’re talking dehydration and premature wrinkles, people), they could possibly even slow hair growth.
- Quit Smoking. This one should be a no-brainer. Smoking obviously has health consequences, but it also reduces blood flow to the scalp, therefore hindering hair growth.
- Clean Hair Wisely. Never use extra hot water when washing your hair, and try to shampoo only 3-4 times per week. Anything more will strip your hair of natural oils, making hair dry, brittle and prone to breakage.
- Invest in a Good Comb. Hair can be especially weakened when wet after a shower, so invest in a high-end brush to get through the knots gently without causing any of the hairs to snap.
- Try Hair Treatments. The beauty market is chock full of wonderful hair treatments to promote hair growth. Spend a little extra cash on a good one that will help you build thicker, shinier, healthier hair.
READ MORE: How to Fight Frizz in 20 Minutes (or Less!)