Are you cut out to be one of the Chanels on Ryan Murphy’s new show Scream Queens? Chanel (Emma Roberts) and her band of minions – also named Chanel – lead the Kappa Kappa Tau sorority at a fictional college… where there’s a murderer on the loose. Chanel has complete rule over her pledges and has no interest in being outdone, even by a murderer in a rented devil’s costume. She’s an awful person but, according to her, “I’m rich and I’m pretty, so it doesn’t even matter.” For next time you need to channel your inner preppy psycho, here are how to recreate our favorite aspects of the OG Chanel at home:
Scarily Coifed Hair
The #1 rule of being perfect is, as Chanel would certainly tell you, looking perfect. Emma Roberts has had not one hair out of place since the show started filming earlier this year. Nikki Lee of Nine Zero One Salon, who’s prepped Emma for the Emmy’s and red carpet events, gave some insight into how to get look sorority-girl-capable-of-murder chic.
- Prep hair with Oribe Run-Through Detangling Primer, then Unite Boosta Spray at the root to mid shaft for volume.
- Using Unite Blow and Set Lotion for ends, blow out ends with 2″ round brush which adds a nice bounce and set hair by spraying L’OREAL BLOW DRY IT Quick Dry Primer Spray for protection against heat.
- Take 2″ sections all around wrapping the hair downward and pinning it with a duck bill clip to hold into place. Once completed do a light mist of L’OREAL Elnett Satin Hairspray and let the hair cool for about 15 minutes.
- Once cooled, take the pins out and began brushing all curls out with a boar bristle brush.
- Then, smooth the bang and put it half up with a jeweled accessory like the Kitsch Leaf Hair Chain.
- Lock it in to place with Oribe Superfine Hair Spray.
Murder Your Outfit
When she wasn’t wearing a – wait for it – Chanel suit, Emma’s character wore lots of multi-colored faux fur.
Chanel would never shop off the rack, but this will tide you over in case you can’t afford custom. // $89, Urban Outfitters, $89
Accessorize Til You Drop
Keep your sunglasses on at. all. times, especially when you’re reminding someone how rich you are. This Forever 21 version is only $7.90, so you’ll need the eye coverage.
Lastly and certainly most importantly is your strand of pearls, all the better to choke you with. This “bridal version” will get you from the sorority door to your wedding day.
Previously: Live Like “Revenge” Ninja/Heiress Emily Thorne