When it comes to beauty benefits, you’ll be hard pressed to find a more power-packed option than virgin coconut oil (VCO). That’s because the coconut’s unique chemical compounds allow it to quell a whole slew of skin issues.
No one knows this better than the brand founders (and sisters!) at VMV Hypoallergenics, CC Verallo Rowell and Laura Verallo Bertotto. They grew up with a mother, dermatologist-dermatopathologist Dr. Vermèn Verallo-Rowell, who used coconut oil for just about everything. (They claim she uses coconut oil like the father uses Windex in “My Big Fat Greek Wedding.”) Today, the brand produces their own virgin coconut oil, extracted from coconuts grown on their organic farm in the Philippines.
Read up on the beauty benefits of coconut oil, and start slathering (our product rec’s are at the end)!:
- Moisture: Virgin coconut oil contains the same fatty acids as those in skin. In studies, it’s been found to be super compatible with our skin barrier, helping to prevent moisture loss and “fold” down rough patches. That means softer, smoother skin with no sticky film.
- Acne: Coconuts have antiseptic properties that work wonders for acne and dermatitis—it’s proven. Monolaurin, a derivative of the coconut’s Lauric Acid, removes bacteria without stripping away skin’s moisture—so you can clear the infection without the dryness and discomfort of traditional alcohol-based antibacterial agents. Monolaurin gel also acts as a mattifier under or on top of makeup.
- Anti-Aging: By replacing skin cells’ fatty acids with its more stable ones, coconut oil balances the saturated-to-unsaturated ratio of fatty acids in the skin. This means that the skin is able to more effectively heal and repair damage from aging and exposure to the sun and other environmental factors. In studies, it’s even been shown stimulate collagen production! Coconuts are also packed with growth factors, such as kinetin, a plant hormone that promotes cell division and slows skin cell aging. What does this all mean in plain English? This oil helps keep your complexion healthy and looking young.
- Conditioning: Due to its highly moisturizing, antibacterial, and antifungal properties, coconut oil is a great deep conditioner, lip balm, cuticle oil and shaving oil (much better than those chemical-packed shave creams). Treat your hair to a deep-conditioning oil mask for super shiny and soft strands.
- Anti-Inflammatory: Since VCO is a saturated oil, it allows the skin to form more anti-inflammatory cell hormones, which (as the name implies) reduces inflammation. Why is this important? Well, inflammation is one of the biggest causes of aging. Pass the coconut oil, please!
TRY IT: Our Favorite Coconut Oil Packed Products:
VMV Hypoallergenics Know-It-Oil
VMV Hypoallergenics Re-Everything Cream: Anti-Age Primary Treatment
VMV Hypoallergenics Creammmy-Rich Intense Moisture Milk SPF 15 for Dry Skin
One Love Organics Skin Savior Waterless Multi-Balm
RMS Raw Coconut Cream
Clark’s Botanicals Skin Clearing Face & Body Wash
Clark’s Botanicals Smoothing Marine Cream