Ah, summer. It’s time for skirts, dresses, shorts, and even bikinis — which means it’s also time to pay attention to the body skin that you neglected all winter long. Yeah, ours isn’t lookin’ so smooth and sexy either!
To help us buff and slough our way into summer, we got a great DIY body scrub recipe from Gabrielle Ophals, co-founder of Haven Spa & Eve Salon, both in New York City. Haven Spa offers a similar floral body scrub, too, if you’re in need of a day of pampering without having to lift a finger (and who isn’t?).
In the meantime, you can whip up this version at home for some quick recon work on those scaly legs and gnarly feet so you’re shorts and sandals ready stat.
- 1/2 cup salt or sugar
- Natural oil (either almond, jojoba, or avocado will work)
- A few drops of your favorite floral essential oil, such as lavender, rose, rose geranium, linden, or petitfleur.
- Mix together the salt or sugar with just enough oil (almond, jojoba, avocado — Ophals doesn’t recommend olive “because you’ll smell like a salad”) to moisten the salt/sugar.
- Add a few drops of your favorite floral essential oils (less is more), . You can also add a few teaspoons of crushed dried flowers — a great way to recycle dying roses!
- Mix it all together and voila, you have a homemade body scrub! Give yourself a good scrub while standing in the shower. Spend extra time on rough areas like elbows and heels. Try to spend a good 10-15 minutes doing this. Rinse it all off and gently blot your skin dry with a towel.
- Follow with your favorite moisturizer — preferably unscented or with a scent that’s complementary to the scrub.