When choosing lipstick, there are few things more important than staying power. We all want a tube of magic lip potion that will last us all day and all night long, but how do we know whether to trust all that pretty packaging that promises hours of coverage? We spoke to Susan Posnick, makeup artist and founder of Susan Posnick Cosmetics, to find out her best tips on how to make sure your lipstick will stay put! Here’s what she had to say.
Which ingredients create that long-lasting magic, so we know what to look for when we’re shopping and aren’t sure whether to trust a brand’s label?
- “Bromino acids are what stain the lips with color for a longer–lasting lipstick, but they can also be drying, so beware.”
- “Permatone is an ingredient that combines color pigment with polymers, allowing for better dispersion of color onto the lips.”
- “The amount of color pigment mixed with waxes or oils determine the density of color. The more pigment, the more density to the color which allows for longer wearing capability.”
Are there any at-home hacks to make lipstick last longer?
- “Start with clean, smooth dry lips. For a homemade lip scrub, combine coconut oil with sugar, apply to dry lips and wipe with a tissue.”
- “Apply a mineral foundation like Susan Posnick COLORFLO foundation on the lips first to grab the lip color and provide sun protection.”
- “Apply lipstick, separate a tissue and press one piece of it to the lips. Apply translucent powder from a brush onto the tissue. Just enough powder will slip through the tissue to ‘set’ the lipstick.”