As we age, breakdown of collagen and elastin over time causes our skin to naturally wrinkle and sag. But many times, fine lines and wrinkles are also exacerbated by poor lifestyle choices we make over and over again. It’s a mix of this genetic destiny and lifestyle choices that will determine how you age.
For every wrinkle you see, UV damage is probably the biggest factor other than natural aging, but it’s even more apparent in areas where skin is most delicate, like the eyes and mouth. Here, we’ve broken down what’s contributing most to your wrinkles so you can make smart decisions and slow the hands of time. Try combining a targeted treatment like StriVectinLABS Anti-Wrinkle Hydra Gel Treatment, a two-step wrinkle-smoothing system that employs proprietary anti-aging technology, NIA-114, and plumping hyaluronic acid to diminish the appearance of fine lines; with healthy lifestyle changes to keep that youthful appearance for even longer.
- Sun damage: UV damage interferes with collagen and elastin production, and creates skin-damaging free radicals. Even if you don’t burn easily, or have a darker skintone, put on a lotion with SPF every day before leaving the house.
- Facial expressions: Stressed, confused, surprised? Many natural and repetitive facial movements result in us crinkling our foreheads. Over time and with age, the creases can become permanent. This doesn’t mean you should walk through life stone-faced—but if you should be managing those negative feelings anyway (stress is not your skin’s friend!).
- Sun damage: This skin is delicate, and extra susceptible to UV damage. Always wear SPF around your eye area, and wear sunglasses with UVA/UVB protection to further shield both your eyes and surrounding skin.
- Tugging: Too much pulling can damage the thin skin around your eyes—think of it as fragile tissue paper that can rip easily. Apply products in this area with a tapping motion instead of pulling.
- Sun damage: Like the eye area, the skin around the lips is delicate and prone to breakdown over time, and UV ray exposure speeds up with process by damaging skin cells quicker. Wear lotion with SPF all over your face, and use a lip balm that has SPF in it as well.
- Smoking: Toxins in cigarettes contribute to loss in elasticity over your whole body, but especially around the mouth area. Plus, the pucker you make when puffing engages the muscles and creates wrinkles. Kick the habit and you’ll look drastically younger.
Under the Eyes
- Sun damage: Just like your crow’s feet, wrinkles and sagging under the eyes is made worse with UV damage. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, use SPF and wear sunglasses.
- Hormonal changes: The natural loss of elastic and collagen with age tends to look even more intense in the eye area—plus, many of us have problems with bags and dark circles to begin with.
- Sleep: Pressing your face against the pillow every night can lead to these vertical wrinkles. The good news is that they can disappear if you change your sleeping habits. Try as best as you can to sleep on your back instead of your side, and use a silk pillowcase—your skin can slide gently across it, which reduces the smooshing and crumpling.
- Facial expressions: They’re called “laugh lines” for good reason—after years of laughing and smiling, permanent wrinkles start to form in this crease. Laughing keeps you young and healthy in so many ways, so don’t stop!
- Facial expressions: The repetitive muscle contraction of furrowing your brows in anger or confusion can lead to permanent lines and wrinkles over time.
For a limited time buy any StriVectinLABS product at www.strivectin.com and receive a FREE full-sized StriVectinLABS Anti-Wrinkle Hydra Gel Treatment. Enter PATCH15 at checkout.
Want more effective, at-home dermatology tips? Head over to our DIY Dermatology hub.
This post is sponsored by StriVectinLABS.