Well, 8.2 percent, to be exact. According to a research team out of Oxford University, the other 91.8 percent of our genome is leftover evolutionary material, also known as “junk” DNA. And not all of that “functional” DNA is equally important: Just over 1 percent accounts for the proteins responsible for most of our bodies’ major biological processes, while the other 7 percent switches those genes on and off as needed.

READ MORE: Genes vs Routine: How Much of Your Skin Aging Can You Actually Control?