Also known as: Fungus (usually a derogatory reference by non-fans)
Likes: Soft, damp earth
Dislikes: Spending too much time in the fridge
Hobbies: Sautéing in a hot pan with Onion and Garlic
Find him: Scrambled with eggs, sliced over salads, grilled with his veggie friends
You either love him or you hate him. If you love Mushroom, chances are you are more than happy to include him in every meal from morning omlette to evening filet. If you hate him, there’s probably little chance that he’ll change your mind so he’ll just stick with the lovers and ignore your turned up nose and jeers of “fungus.”
Mushroom can be found in many varieties, each with a distinct shape and subtle, earthy flavor. Ones you’ll commonly find on your plate include the common white Button, the large and particularly meaty Portabello, the potentially cancer-fighting Shitake, and the small and lightly flavored Enoki.
Mushrooms are a good choice nutritionally, providing several essential vitamins and minerals:
Vitamin D – You strengthen your bones and get a serving of veggies when you eat mushrooms, the only non animal source of vitamin D (other than the sun).
B Vitamins (biotin, niacin, riboflavin) – These are essential for a healthy metabolism and blood cells.
Selenium – The small amounts of this mineral in mushrooms are a good way to help meet your daily requirements, important for thyroid function.
Earthy Mushroom is confident in what he can offer both in flavor, texture and nutrition. Are you ready to love him as part of your healthy diet? For ideas, try these dishes from participating Healthy Dining restaurants:
- Popeye Omelet at More than Waffles (195 calories, 9 g fat). Located in Encino, CA
- The Godfather at Muscle Maker Grill (440 calories, 12 g fat). Located in NJ, NY, PA, FL, CA, TX, OK
- Pan Seared Mahi at Pat’s Tap (590 calories, 23 g fat). Located in Minneapolis, MN
- Grand Gobbler Wrap at Steak Escape (440 calories, 14 g fat). Located nationwide
- Spinach Rollups at Zoes Kitchen (410 calories, 14 g fat). Located in Southeastern US plus LA, TX, and CA
- Roasted Chicken Lettuce Wrap Appetizer at Parlor Market (140 calories, 6 g fat). Located in Jackson, MS