Eat Pretty this Thanksgiving with a delicious dinner that’s guilt-free and sans glut (and gut!). Mix up your traditional holiday recipes by preparing your favorite ingredients in new, healthy, and beauty-enhancing ways based on the Cleveland Clinic’s Lifestyle 180 program. These recipes are 100% whole grain with no trans fats and contain only minimal amounts of saturated fat and added sugars.
- 1 small (3/4 pound) rutabaga, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 32 ounces vegetable broth
- 1 pound carrots, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound red potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Combine rutabaga and broth in a large saucepan; bring to boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes.
- Add carrots and potatoes; cover and simmer 18 to 20 minutes, or until vegetables are very tender.
- Drain vegetables, reserving broth.
- Heat oil in same saucepan. Add garlic; cook 1 minute.
- Add reserved broth; cook over medium-high heat until mixture is reduced to 1/3 to 1/2 cup.
- Add drained vegetables, salt, and pepper; mash with a potato masher or handheld blender to desire consistency.
Recipe makes 12 servings