As a stylist, I know that the right pair of eyewear can make you look younger, thinner and smarter. Here, the right frames to wear this summer depending on your face shape.
- Heart: Michael Kors Collection 59mm Aviator Sunglasses | shop.nordstrom.com
- Oval: Tom Ford ‘Martina’ 59mm Retro Sunglasses, $390 | shop.nordstrom.com
- Square: Tory Burch 57mm Sunglasses, $184 | shop.nordstrom.com
- Round: Burberry 58mm Check Detail Polarized Sunglasses, $235 | shop.nordstrom.com
1. If Your Face Is…Heart Shaped
Do you have a broader forehead and cheekbones with a narrow chin? You have a heart-shaped face, like Reese Witherspoon. The key is to broaden the appearance of your chin and bring more proportion to your face. To do this, look for lighter gradient lenses—darker at the top than the bottom. Ombré tinted lenses will downplay your wider forehead while softening the lines of your pointier chin. Super chic aviator styles are a great bet.
2. If Your Face Is…Oval Shaped
If you have an oval-shaped face, you’ve got relatively balanced features. Oval means your face is longer than it is wide, so you can get away with most styles as long as the frames are no wider than the broadest part of your face. Cat-eye styles work brilliantly for you. We LOVE these Tom Ford frames.
3. If Your Face Is…Square Shaped
Got a strong jawline and broad forehead? Go for frames that are rounded at the edges to soften and balance your face. When you’re trying on frames, look for ones that sit high on your face to downplay the sharpness of your jawline. These expensive-looking, classic frames look great on you and will never go out of style.
4. If Your Face Is…Round Shaped
The key is to add structure. If you have soft curves with a similar width and length, find frames with strong angular lines to add more definition. Stay away from bright colors and instead look for darker shades like black or tortoiseshell to help minimize the fullness of your face. Go for a pair with slightly higher temples to help to create a longer, leaner face shape. We love the detail on the rims of these Burberry beauties.