Standout Beauty Nutrient: 144 mcg of vitamin K, or 197% RDA.
Beauty Benefits: The vitamin K in spinach helps prevents the calcification of elastin, part of the skin’s structural system. Healthy elastin helps prevent wrinkles. Its anti-inflammatory properties keep the skin nourished and glowing.
Bonus Nutrients: This dish offers a source of protein, without a high “aging fat” content that meats with protein sometimes have. The tofu can help with tissue repair.
- 2 tablespoon Orange Juice
- 1 teaspoon Dry Mustard
- ½ teaspoon Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Fresh Ginger – minced
- 1 pinch Cayenne Pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoon Fresh Garlic – minced
- 12 ounces Silken Extra Firm Tofu – light
- 2 cup Radish Daikon – sliced
- 2 cup Carrots – small dice
- 2 cup Shitake – de stemmed
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- 4 cup Spinach – de stemmed
- 1 tablespoon, 2 teaspoon Canola Oil
- ¼ cup Light Soy Sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine and mix in small bowl first 7 ingredients. Cut tofu long way in half and then each half cross ways into 8 equal size slices creating 16 pieces.
- Place in bowl and gently toss until all tofu is well covered. Remove from marinade, place on non-stick baking sheet, bake for 20 minutes, remove and set aside. Save marinade.
- While tofu is baking, add 1 tablespoon oil to sauté pan, heat and stir fry carrots, daikon and shitake mushrooms until just tenderseasoning with half the salt and half the black pepper while cooking.
- Once tender, remove, set aside, in same pan add remaining 1 tablespoon of canola oil with fresh garlic and cook garlic until fragrant but not brown – about 1 minute.
- Add spinach, remaining salt and pepper and toss until spinach is wilted, remove and set aside. Add and heat reserved 1 teaspoon oil, add tofu and gently sear about 1 minute each side drizzling 1 tablespoon of reserved marinade over top of tofu on each side.
- Remove and serve with wilted spinach and stir fried vegetables.
Recipe developed by Cleveland Clinic Lifestyle 180 program. This is a Go! Food, which meets beautifying nutritional criteria.