Standout Beauty Nutrient: 3.56 mg of folate, over 100% RDA
Beauty Benefits: Lentils have folate, which aids cell turnover to keep skin looking younger. This stimulates hair growth as well.
Bonus Nutrients: Manganese works to stabilize blood sugar, build stronger bones and could protect aging-free radical damage. Lentils are also relatively high in iron, which maintains healthy blood flow to your face.
- 2 tablespoon(s) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large white onion, chopped (8 oz.)
- 1 teaspoon(s) minced garlic
- 2 tablespoon(s) minced fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoon(s) turmeric
- 1 teaspoon(s) cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon(s) fresh jalapeno, peeled, seeded, and minced
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) ground cardamom
- 1 tablespoon(s) chia seeds
- 4 cup(s) water
- 3 tablespoon(s) vegetable base without MSG or 3 1/2 cups organic vegetable broth
- 2 cup(s) red lentils
- 2 1/2 cup(s) fire-roasted crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 4 tablespoon(s) chopped cilantro
- Heat oil in large saucepan.
- Add onions and saute until lightly carmelized.
- Add cumin seeds, cardamom, garlic, and saute 2 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover, simmer, stirring often, until all lentils are tender, about 15 minutes.
Recipe developed by Cleveland Clinic Lifestyle 180 program. This is a Go! Food, which meets beautifying nutritional criteria.