Standout Beauty Nutrient: 53mg of Magnesium, or 13% RDA.
Beauty Benefits: Pasta and sweet potatoes provide some magnesium. This helps enzymes in your body lower bad cholesterol (LDL) and triglycerides and raise good cholesterol (HDL). It’s also key to the production of energy which gives you the bounce to exercise.
Bonus Nutrients: Tofu has tryptophan, and eating it with other nutrients could help its conversion to serotonin for a mood boost and better sleep. Magnesium, folic acid, vitamin C and B6 can all aid this process.
Vegan Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
- 12 oz 100% Whole Wheat Cavatappi Pasta
- 28 oz Sweet Potato – peeled, medium dice
- 4 cups Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 12 oz Extra Firm Tofu
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper – coarse ground
- ¼ teaspoon Nutmeg
- 2 pinch Cayenne Pepper
- 8 oz Rice Shredded Cheese alternative
- In cook pot, cook cavatappi pasta in boiling water until al dente, remove, strain, rinse and set aside in bowl covered with plastic wrap. Meanwhile, in saucepan combine sweet potato with almond milk and bring to a simmer on medium heat and simmer uncovered until sweet potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Strain sweet potatoes into bowl reserving almond milk. Measure almond milk and if less then 3 cups add additional new almond milk to equal 3 cups. Place sweet potatoes in blender with almond milk tofu, salt, Dijon mustard, black pepper, nutmeg and cayenne and blend until smooth.
- In large bowl combine sweet potato sauce, cavatappi pasta, rice cheese and mix well. Place in a 10”x12” two inch deep baking pan, cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove and serve.
Recipe developed by Cleveland Clinic Lifestyle 180 program. This is a Go! Food, which meets beautifying nutritional criteria.